Thursday, March 25, 2010

Some old work and the "5% Rule"


It's been almost a year since I've looked at my freshman drawing work. Brings back some good memories of all-nighters re-sharpening prisma color pencils. The first thing that is painfully obvious to me now is that so many of my drawings from last year are missing that last 5%. That last 10 minutes of work to tune up, redefine edges, tweak values, etc. I'm tempted to dig some of these out of my closet and spend ten minutes finishing them up when I get back to Cincinnati. I have a tendency to work in huge, continuous chunks and not take the time to remove myself from what I'm doing and come back with fresh eyes. When you work like this it's hard to make that last 5% meaningful. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Thanks to my professor Jason Franz for all his great instruction last year.
Check out his work, and the awesome gallery and studio he founded.




























No comments:

Post a Comment